Price discrimination at Comcast
I get cable, phone and Internet access through Comcast. I called them up to see if I could get a lower rate if I gave up some cable channels. They ended up offering me a package in which I get more channels and faster Internet speed but have to pay $30 less a month than I used to.
Comcast is engaging in price discrimination in which they charge higher prices to customers who don't try to get better deals. They probably figure that they gain nothing by offering these passive customers lower prices. In contrast, Comcast probably calculates that if a customer calls them to consider other options then that customer might go elsewhere if he doesn't get a better price.
Most of us tend to take prices as given. But companies should often be willing to lower the price they charge you if they fear that otherwise they will lose you as a customer.
