Aug 18, 2008

Hate speech and Halo 3

I played Halo 3 a bit too much this summer. In many games Halo 3 matches you up with numerous other players. Before a game starts you can hear what others are saying.

I'm very far from being politically correct, but I was shocked by the language many players used. In at least one-third of the games someone made a negative comment about homosexuals. In many games I heard someone use the "N" word. (And most of the time I don't think the speaker was black.) Hate speech in online video games would make a great paper topic for many disciplines.

Once I thought I had the perfect line to stop other players from attacking homosexuals. I said "why are so many Halo 3 players obsessed with homosexuality?" Alas, another player came up with a brilliant retort. He said "Why are so many Halo 3 players 40-year-old virgins?" I'm 41.