Dec 24, 2007

Iran/Israel Nuclear War

From the Jerusalem Post: "If a nuclear war between Israel and Iran were to break out 16-20 million Iranians would lose their lives - as opposed to 200,000-800,000 Israelis, according to a report recently published by the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies ."

I disagree. Iran would use surrogates in any nuclear war with Israel. Iran would probably give a nuclear weapon to terrorists who would then smuggle it into Tel Aviv. After the bomb went off the top priority of most world governments would be to make sure Israel didn't use nuclear weapons to retaliate. Even if Israel was sure that Iran had provided the bomb, they would not be able to prove this to most of the world, and so it would be very difficult for Israel to retaliate.

I suspect Israel would love to have the Doomsday device the Russians had in the movie Dr. Strangelove. This device would activate and make the world uninhabitable if Russia was ever attacked with nuclear bombs. If Israel had such a device, I bet there would be a lot more international support for stopping Iran's nuclear weapons program. (And yes I do believe there is a small chance that Iran would attack Israel with nuclear weapons even if Iran knew that such an attack would end human life on earth.)