The Duke Lacrosse Case
The prosecutor of the Duke lacrosse case has been disbarred. This represents a total vindication of the three lacrosse players who were accused of rape. I recommend that Duke put up a statue of these players. The plaque on the statue should read something like this:
"These three men were maliciously prosecuted for rape because of false stereotypes based on racism, sexism and classism. Although there was never any serious evidence indicating their guilt, many members of our community turned against them. Fortunately, these men prevailed and proved their innocence beyond any doubt and in so doing they made many members of the Duke community confront our own biases. These men's courage in the face of adversity should be a model to us all."
As I understand it, the African American Studies and Women's Studies departments at Duke see their primary role as fighting against racism, sexism and classism so I'm sure these two departments would be happy to pay for the statue.
